Dienstag, 13. November 2012

Heartbroken

If you had asked me what I expected out of playing music in Tucson, back in early 2007, I would have answered: “I am sure I’ll play somewhere somehow, but it’ll probably be on the backburner and I’ll be happy to keep it on life support while I work like horse for my doctorate.”

It turned out VERY differently. My “musical career” (if you want to call it that) did not take a dip, but a climb. In the five sometimes chaotic years in Arizona, music was the one thing that always worked out very well. I played in a wonderful group, the Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra. Not only did I play, I was fortunate to also lead the viola section and coach sectionals. The repertoire was interesting and challenging, the atmosphere was usually excellent. I felt that I was making the best of my musical education by having plenty of opportunities to pass on what I learned. I also learned a whole lot myself, about playing, about teaching, about contributing to a good thing. Preparing for and playing 5 – 6 concerts a year for a paying audience meant I was part of a regular concert cycle the way professional musicians are, and thus effectively practicing the profession I once trained for. Also, I loved being part of the community. I found wonderful friends there. Some of these friends have been my emotional support through many a rough time. Heck, I found my boyfriend there. I could continue singing the praise of SASO and eludicating the meaning of that particular “musical home” for me, or I could write about how nothing is ever perfect and that SASO had its rough edges, too, but you get the idea. I had a place and it was a good one.

Returning to Vienna unfortunately also meant leaving SASO. I could get into that, too, but that’s a whole other entry. Let me just say: it was very hard.

In past major moves I have run into the following issue: Everything is new, everything, even the smallest mundane task (see “shopping inconvenience”), is challenging, music has never been my breadwinning career, so, typically there were more than enough science-career things to worry about, and all of this would result in music being on the backburner for a little while. In the case of the move to Arizona, it took 6 months and a visit to a counselor for me to remember that I am, at my core, a musician, and that putting the viola aside for an extended period of time is nothing less than forgetting a part of my very identity. “Not this time”, I thought before this move, and started to be proactive. I researched amateur orchestras in Vienna well ahead of time and spread word among my (very small and professional) Viennese musical network. And lo and behold, last week on Tuesday, I sat in the first rehearsal of an amateur orchestra associated with one of the city’s (non-music) universities, and today I got a phone call from another group.

It do not want to write about what I think of this new group after just three rehearsals, not because I don't have any thoughts, but because it's not the point of this entry. The point of this entry is that I am starting to doubt my decision to make finding a new group a high priority item on my list of “things to figure out asap in Vienna”. I have not been able to play in this new group without fighting tears during rehearsal, or bursting into them afterwards. It does not help that we are playing Tchaikovsky’s 4th symphony, the SASO-sound of which is still in my ear. In all three rehearsals so far, there were quite a few instruments missing, so it was easy for my brain to replace the missing instruments with the sound of the respective SASO players. There are many things I instantly started to miss about SASO, within the first ten minutes of that first rehearsal last week, and today, for the first time, I had a deep feeling of “ok, time to go back to Arizona”. The question “Why on earth have I left SASO behind?” forced itself into my brain, demanding an emotional (rather than rational) answer, and I couldn’t come up with one. I miss having my place and I miss my friends.

I am fully aware that no new group can live up to this at the moment. In a way, I feel like someone out on a date, who is nowhere near getting over the last breakup. Perhaps I am too heartbroken to be playing music right now. I was worried about being punished with insanity if I don’t play, but now I am worried about being punished with insanity if I have a major crying fit after every rehearsal. Should I give it a break? Then again, it still holds that I am a musician and need to play, SASO or not. I have to set myself up somewhere somehow, and in this city with its giant music scene, it might take a little longer, so perhaps I should just suck it up and plough ahead...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen